Hayward Field

Often referred to as the Carnegie Hall of track and field, Hayward Field is located on the University of Oregon campus.  Originally built for football in 1919, a six-lane cinder track bordering the playing field was installed in 1921, and in 1925 the wooden east grandstand was added. It became a track-only venue in 1967. After several renovations, most recently in 2007, Hayward Field is considered one of the finest track-only facilities in the world. Named after the university’s first head track coach, Bill Hayward, who directed the track program from 1904-1947, Hayward Field has hosted four Olympic Trials, the annual Prefontaine Classic and a variety of NCCA and USA Track & Field National Championships.  Many legendary track athletes, including Steve Prefontaine, Alberto Salazar, Bill Dellinger, Kenny Moore, and Bill McChesney, Jr., all ran for Oregon at Hayward Field.  Galen Rupp and Andrew Wheating, current UO athletes, became Olympians at the 2008 Olympic Trials.

Visitors to Track Town USA make Hayward Field, considered “Mecca for athletes and track fans,” their first stop.  History boards are part of Powell Plaza, the primary entrance to Hayward Field.  The Bowerman Building, adjacent to the track, houses some of the most interesting track and field photos and other track-related memorabilia.  Enthusiastic crowds welcome and cheer all competitors at Hayward Field.  In addition to world-renowned athletes competing in national and international meets,  athletes of all ages are given an opportunity to run, jump or throw at Hayward Field in five all-comers meets held each summer.  

  • ADA accessible
  • Fees required for some events
  • Interpretive signage
  • Visitor center nearby

Get more information on this area from TravelOregon.com

National Geographic