The pine forests of Central Oregon are what brought the Gilchrist Timber Company to the area. In April 1938 an architect drew up the plans for the town of Gilchrist. The mill and 60-acre pond was constructed to hold logs for the original sawmill on the west side of Highway 97, while the 128 homes for the workers were constructed on the east side along with the Gilchrist Mall (the first mall under one roof in the U.S.). There was an effort to create a “civic personality, which promotes a spirit of respect and affection in the inhabitants.” Time has brought many changes, but that spirit of respect and affection in the inhabitants still exists.

The town of Gilchrist is and has been a popular rest stop for tourists since the early 1940s.  There is a Visitor Center, which is also home to the North Klamath County Chamber of Commerce.  Gilchrist is the gateway to the approximately 100 trout-filled lakes in the area. Recreation activities include swimming, water skiing, snowmobiling, bicycling, horseback riding and backpacking. Both Nordic and alpine skiing facilities are nearby. Wildlife abounds in the area. The elevation ranges from 4,000 to 5,000 feet.

  • Visitor center on site
  • Interpretive signage
  • Located on both public and private land

Get more information on this area from

National Geographic